Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tis the Season


I haven't been doing much in the way of art but I did want to share something I did - I'm pretty proud of it because it was pretty darn difficult, in a fun way. There's a magical little store in Berkeley California called Castle in the Air and they managed to get hold of a huge collection of old French Pellerin paper models, theaters and "Grand Constructions" as they call them.  They sell beautiful reprints for only $15 that you can cut up and construct in good conscience - my Mom bought me an original for Christmas last year and it's safely framed - no scissors are coming near it. I bought the reprint of this one below (they're all 16"x 20"):



And after hours of pondering, and thinking and pondering some more and wishing I could read 1800's French (or that Google could translate it) it now looks like this (please ignore the magnets, it's on my fridge):


There's a long central piece of paper that goes down the back that his head is attached to, and every little moving piece is interconnected and had to be attached together with brads in exactly the right order so that when you move that center piece back and forth, all the other little pieces move as well - I should have taken a little movie of me moving it.  I just love it, and it was so fun to put together.  I started looking through their website at the others they have to do another one and got overwhelmed there are so many and they're all so wonderful,  The link is here if you're interested.


Since what little creative effort I've made recently has primarily been in the decorating department, I thought I'd share a few pictures.  These are chosen basically due to their being the least embarrassing quality photos - I clearly need a better camera if I want to take good indoor photos.


My village:






The center of my dining table



 My little silver tree with vintage ornaments


My mantel



This will be my last post before Christmas as I'm leaving town Friday - I hope you all have a wonderful, safe and magical holiday season.

8 comments:


  1. Lovely post Terri

    It all looks so lovely, Christmassy and cosy :)

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas

    Karen x


    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Terri. I love the paper work collage (I don't think collage is the right word!) - I shall be off to explore the website shortly. Your house is looking so Christmassy and vintage - I love your style. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that paper engineering is amazing, it must have been very tricky to put together. I'd love to see it in action (video.....?!).

    Your home looks wonderfully festive.

    Wishing you a very merry Christmas!

    xxx



    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that paper theatre piece looks amazing!...and your seasonal decs are such fun :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, your Christmas decor is AMAZING! I love your sweet, nostalgic, vintage look of it all, its just gorgeous. AND that paper model - and what you did with it! - is so cool. I'd LOVE one, thanks for the link so I can dream ;) HAPPY NEW YEAR to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful pictures! I hope your holidays were just what you love them to be and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! YEss, I was doing well with the daily Art Journaling and then got hit with the flu - so I am now officially behind - but that's okay, too - that will happen I know ;) But yeah, 15 minutes was a total joke, lol! Hope you're well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very appreciated!