Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Encaustic Paint


I know that I've waxed poetic about encaustic wax before (he he, get it?), but I had never tried encaustic paint before, in spite of having the intention, and the actual little paint blocks, for quite some time.  Last weekend I decided to dive in and try it, and it was a lot of fun.  I've been thinking about it for so long that I was kind of overwhelmed by all the possible things I could do ( actually, I spend too much of my "studio" time in that state), but finally managed to settle down to something.  Making the Dragonfly was really fun - I know you can't tell from head on, but it's about 1/4" high.  You press a cookie cutter into the wax layers til there's a tight seal, then pour melted wax in, it only takes a few minutes to dry, and then you pull the cookie cutter off.  I've done that before, but much more satifying with colored wax!  And brushing colored wax over the circle stencil was really fun too.



 I think that all the mixed media goodness we love - layering papers, image transfers, and incorporating 3D objects is just that much more fun with wax.  If you've been tempted, don't wait as long as I did - you don't have to have much equipment, I hardly have any.   And I'd be happy to help if you have any questions...

6 comments:

  1. Wow, the colours are beautiful - I just love the translucent effect of the wax, and especially the little bees - really lovely - I've never heard of using a cookie cutter, what a great idea! Do you put the cutter straight onto the work or do you make it separately and glue it on? It must be quite fragile.
    Bye the way, emulsion is decorating paint - I have quite a collection of Matchpot sample tubes that I get from our equivalent of the Home Depot store(usually Dulux or Crown). I often use them for base coats on paper as they are cheap and it's easy to get the exact shade required. I have two blog posts about Matchpots in November 2011 if you fancy a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! I really LOVE this piece. I agree with Diana the colours are beautiful and I love the little bees too.

    I have a 'melt pot' and have quite a while ago used it and enjoyed the results. That was only for adding (glueing) elements and layering over the top. I do adore the effect that gives.

    Encaustic paint/wax has always seemed like it would be really hard/scary - I only have the beeswax pellets in white -

    This is probably going to be a silly question but what is the difference between encaustic paint and encaustic wax?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, seriously! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I wish I could work next to you - I bet it smells good in your studio too, as I imagine there is a lot of beeswax there ;)
    Gorgeous colors - and quite an inspiration ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. I love the way the layers float on top of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS GORGEOUS!!!! Sorry to shout but it was appropriate :o)

    I am LOVING the layers, LOVING the colours (the dragonfly is wonderful) and LOVING the texture.

    I have a melt pot but have only used it to melt wax for making tea cup candles. I must get it out again. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for your sweet comments and words of encouragement. You made my day, xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very appreciated!